Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Little Bit Like Falling in Love

Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced.   John Keats

Living in Rome is a little bit like falling in love.

You know when you first set eyes on each other that you are home.    Still so much to learn and discover about each other, but you are home. 

In the beginning, everything is starry eyed perfection.   Magical.  Fresh.  You feel overwhelmed with excitement and the city becomes the object of all of your attention.  There are no flaws.   Each new experience together becomes significantly important.  You get butterflies in your stomach when you step out on the street each morning because you still have no idea what to expect.

It all started for me many years ago on my first trip to Rome with my mom.    I remember very clearly the first time I walked down the street and ran straight into the Colosseum.   I was intensely struck by its significance and the enormity of history and everything I’ve ever been taught staring me right in the face.   I had learned about it for years in school, but it was never real, to me.   Right then, it became real.   It was no longer just a picture in a book, words on a page.   It was mine.   My experience.  Part of my history now.


Suddenly you have a whole new world filled with firsts.   The food, the wine, the culture.  Everything is better than anything you’ve experienced before and you realize that you’ve fallen hard and knowing what you know now, you will never go back to what you used to be.   

It happens quickly, when you are least expecting it.    Head over heels.     Rome can do that to you. 

With a little time, the vastness of the culture you’ve fallen in love with begins to be replaced with the little things you discover that you adore just as much, if not more.




Even the tiny tucked away neighborhood churches are intensely beautiful.    Every man, woman and child is gorgeous and so impeccably dressed that it is a thrill to spend an entire day people watching in the piazza.    The excitement of finding a hidden gem where the locals dine and you feel like you fit in.   Ducking into a cool alley filled with tiny specialty shops to escape the hot mid-day sun.   The shoes.   All of the fabulous shoes.  The joy of running into a stall along the Tiber that sells only candy, all of your favorite kinds, exactly at the point when you are in need of a serious sugar rush.    Bursting into tears at what might be your seventh visit to Michelangelo’s Pieta in St. Peter’s because, this time, you finally get it.

You rediscover beauty in the every day.     This is your new reality.

The fabulous food, great wine, art, history, passion and romance coupled with the little day to day discoveries are the fun part.    It is what sparks that initial flame and forms your connection.   The real question is whether you will still respect each other in the morning when the magic wears off and the flaws begin to appear. 

It happens slowly, not overnight.   It is barely noticeable except when you think back to the beginning.   Little things suddenly irritate the heck out of you.   Things you didn’t notice before because you were just so in love and really, nothing else mattered.   

The initial excitement of dodging scooters and taxis in the street is now a total pain in the ass.    It is Just. Too. Loud.   You begin to miss fresh air, despise the heat and crowds and crave just a little more green.   The history which once stood in stark contrast to the modern city begins to blend into the background.  The fact that no one bothers moving over on the street to let each other pass.   Everything begins to taste and look exactly the same.   You even begin to realize, that, yes, you can drink too much wine. 

At this point, when things become more real, you understand that love is not just about those initial magical moments.   True love is just not that perfect.    It shouldn’t be.   Those flaws are actually part of the charm.   



I am not quite on board with those that say they have a love/hate relationship with this city.   I think it is much more subtle and complex than that.   I’m still learning.    In my old age, I’ve discovered a shade of grey that I really appreciate.     The unexpected makes things exciting. 

I am just two weeks into my current Italian love affair.   While there have been ups and downs of great magnitude, I know that the next two weeks will further deepen this relationship.   I dread the moment where I have to say goodbye, but like with any good relationship, I know it will continue on after I leave.   I do not need to throw another coin in the fountain to understand that this is just the beginning.

Ciao. 


4 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures and full of insight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to live somewhere in Europe... it's just so much more interesting than North America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can find beauty and interest pretty much anywhere in the world but there is something about having grown up in America, the new world, where the culture is relatively new and being faced with the vast history of 'the old world' in places were humans have lived for thousands of years not to mention being able to step in structures that are still standing!
    But like many things the more you learn about it the more you love it - even North America:)
    If we had more records of the people who lived in the Americas and had they had more influence on our cultures we might have a little more awe when visiting ancient native American cities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the lovely thoughts and comments! I am so thrilled to have this (even short term) opportunity to live in Europe.

    Certainly every place has its good and bad but what I love the most about traveling is that we are able to expand ourselves by being exposed to things that are new to each of us as individuals. It is always such an eye opening experience and really reminds you that at the core, we are all really the same.

    And I love the thought that the more you learn, the more you love... exactly! Thanks all for your great comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!