Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Handmade Flower Girl Baskets and Other Wedding DIY

At first I was not sure what I would do with my pretty new lady hammer.    The pink one with the flower covered handle and tiny grip.    It was a gift from my new sister-in-laws.   Part of my emergency marriage kit.  

And then I had the perfect thought, as I was covered in flour at 5:00 in the morning, contemplating how to make the stained glass part of the stained glass cookies I was about to attempt.   My sweet new hammer.   Just right for smashing color coordinated Jolly Ranchers into a gazillion melt-worthy pieces.    I know my new sister in laws will be very proud.


I have been knee deep in all kinds of baking fun.    Melting chocolate, hand forming kisses, frosting snowflakes, powdering snowballs.    Just the kind of thing I expected I would be doing one week out from my honeymoon.  

I can't wait to tell you all about my little project and all of the wonderful things I have been up to, but not quite ready yet.  Since I am in a bit of a DIY mode at the moment, I thought I would share one of my projects from the wedding.  

Advance Warning:  You will probably not want to attempt this at home.   I would, however, like it to show for the record that I tried.

So the story is this.   I am in the midst of intense conversation with my florist, planning centerpieces filled with roses in blush and ivory, lanterns with cream pillar candles, corsages in all shapes in sizes, when the topic of flower girl baskets comes up.

"We'll have two flower girl baskets.   Filled with ivory rose petals."

Ah... I'm envisioning my sweet little flower girls dancing up the aisle, tossing petals in the air, smiling sweetly at our guests.

"The baskets will have big bows and flowing ribbons."

Ugh.   That sounds so typically bridal and, well, so not me.    I have a lightbulb moment.   Perfect!   I'm a little low on wedding DIY projects.   I can surely make flower girl baskets.   Hey, maybe I can save a little money in the process.  

"I think I'll make them myself."

"Oh, okay.   How about I just bring two along anyway?  You know, just in case."

"Well, okay, thanks.   I'm not going to use them though."

I have visions of beautifully handcrafted flower girl baskets in ivory and french lace.    Adorned with pearls in a modern and yet sophisticated little girl way.     They would be the most beautiful flower girl baskets every created.

I made John go to the craft store with me where we agonized over shades of cream and ivory, textures and laces.    I brought them all home, filled with anticipation.
And there they sat.   And sat.   And continued to sit.   Until the day before we left for the wedding.

"Don't you think it is time to make those flower girl baskets?   Or should I call the florist and have him bring the back-ups?"

Right, like that's going to happen.   Just the push I needed.

At this point, I'd love to share a flower girl basket making tutorial for all future brides who are looking for a little DIY. But the fact of the matter is, there is not much to share.    I wrapped a bunch of pretty ribbons around a couple of baskets.    The end.

And truth be told.   They had big bows.   And yes, they had flowing ribbons.   (See photo above!)

But what matters is that I made them myself.   With lots and lots of love.   And there was no sweeter sight then my beautiful little flower girls (along with our very handsome ring bearer!) carrying their handmade baskets down the aisle.   Throwing petals in the air.  Smiling sweetly at our guests.

Gorgeous Photo by Visio Photography

Oh, and I didn't actually save any money on these.  But I'll never admit that to anyone.   Especially not  my incredibly patient and understanding florist.  (PS - If you are ever in need of a florist in Asheville, check out Blossoms at Biltmore Park).    

Advice for future brides - DIY projects are fun.   They really are.   They bring a very personal touch to the wedding and give you a little extra sense of pride.    Just be practical about it.   Perfect visions are lovely, but things don't always go as planned.    No one else will notice but you, so just relax and have fun with it.    Enjoy the process, don't take on too much.   And always, always have a back up plan!

8 comments:

  1. The baskets are beautiful!!! This is a great post! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those cookies look delicious! I found you on etsy forums, come find me, I'm having a giveaway :)

    http://soursopgreetings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies are beautiful! I need to makes some with my girls. Of course it might be nice if we were neighbors so they could have an Aunt Emily to go with their Mommy Emily. And Aunt Emily could do all these fun baking projects that Mommy Emily can't find clean counter space for...

    Your flower girls baskets were very pretty. DIY rarely saves money for bride, but it I think it's a really important concept. DIY is where memories are made, and as in the case of these baskets, memories are kept because little girls love hanging on to these things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great and the "handmade" aspect is the best part!

    By the way your cookies look sooooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette - Thank you and Welcome! :)

    Emily - Awwww.... so cute. (PS - my counters are running out of room too! And you should see our dining room at the moment :)

    Thanks for your comments on wedding DIY. Well said and from a trusted source too!

    Meeling - Thank you! Stay tuned for some wonderful recipes. There's a chocolate one coming that I am pretty sure will be a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hee hee. well you earn about a billion points for tackling this project the night before. all i managed to crank out was a CD for our cocktail hour, and that was nearly too much to ask... :P

    those cookies look like edible perfection. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww I did the baskets for my friends wedding and it was the same deal: we just wrapped ribbons around the handle and glued some cute bows on, done and done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelli - Yeah, I haven't confessed as to when I compiled my dinner music ipod playlist... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!