Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Farmers Market Frittata


I'm feeling like my last post was all doom and gloom.   I didn't intend for that, but it really was an altering experience.   I was talking to John about it after he read my post and he said it was a good thing I closed my eyes when I did.   We were truly lucky.

Despite the storm and the disappointment that my family wasn't able to make it in due to weather related travel disruptions, Easter weekend turned itself around.    We had a great visit with family, ending with a  fabulous Easter brunch filled with gorgeous fruits, eggs, pastries and ham.    I wish I had hauled out the camera so I could show you a picture of the beautiful table, but I was preoccupied with eating it all.   So good!

The day ended with an Easter egg hunt for all the little ones.    We had some tears, white clothes and knees turned muddy, kite flying and tons of nostalgic cuteness.   I can remember my own days of Easter egg hunts in the yard on Easter morning.    I'm pretty sure my brother and I fought over an egg or two.    Kids are funny (and cute).

In keeping with the Easter/spring theme, I thought I'd share a quick and easy recipe that is perfect for a Sunday morning at home.     I used a bunch of ingredients we had left over from this weeks CSA box, but you could easily substitute your own "end of week" vegetables in this very adaptable recipe.


Farmers Market Frittata (serves 2)


Ingredients


2 teaspoons butter
1/4 cup red onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2/3 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cups baby spinach, rough chopped
4 large eggs
3/4 shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons skim or reduced fat milk
1/2 teaspoon dill
salt and pepper
1 small tomato, diced

Preparation


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Crack four eggs into medium size bowl.   Whisk until blended.   Add 1/4 cup shredded cheese, dill and two tablespoons milk.    Stir and set aside.

Heat medium sized skillet over medium/low heat.    Add and melt butter in skillet.    Add red onions and saute for 3 - 4 minutes until slightly softened.    Add garlic and saute 1 minute until fragrant.    Add sliced mushrooms to vegetable mixture and saute 3 - 4 additional minutes.   Add spinach and saute until wilted, about another minute.   Salt and pepper to taste.

Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet and swirl pan until fully coated and even.   Cook for 4 - 5 minutes over medium low heat on stove until eggs are mostly set.    Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Place skillet in oven for another 5 minutes until ready (cheese is melted and slight browning).    Remove from skillet and serve with fresh diced tomato.

**********************

On another note, I'm beginning to grow a small addiction to eggs lately.    I'm thoroughly excited that I just received my first batch of farm fresh eggs in the box this week.   They look like regular eggs, except for being a nice mixture of brown and white.   I can't wait to see how they taste!   I read an article on the plane this weekend about urban chicken coops.   I'm not ready to go that far yet, but this might be a nice alternative.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, does that look tasty. I just made my first frittata over Easter weekend, and was actually looking for more recipes. I will be making this over weekend for the family.

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good frittata. Actually, it's even just saying the word frittata. Thanks for sharing the recipe...a great idea to use skim milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy!!!
    I love egg breakfasts on the weekends...we do one almost every Sunday morning...though we need to break out of the mold a bit, I always seem to make the same old fave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the Frittata is so often overlooked as a perfect sol'n for quick and easy dinner, meat-free & veggie-rich. I shared this version on Twitter in hopes our fans will head straight to the farmer's market to load up on their veggies!

    p.s. Would love to see pics of the eggs. Very cool that you're getting through the CSA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frittatas are the perfect spring breakfast. They're easy to throw together and you can put just about anything in them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!