Friday, May 6, 2011

Greens and Beans


It's Friday.   Pretty happy about that.   Yesterday was one of those days that I wanted to do a do-over on starting around 3pm.   No real reason.   Was a beautiful sunny blue sky day, I got lots done, but just wasn't working for me.    Some days are just this way. 

Last night we took a walk around the neighborhood and talked about ordering pizza for dinner tonight.    I can't remember the last time we did that.  I should make it myself, but feeling supremely lazy.  

One more night of what John calls "Vegetable Surprise".  

This one consists of farm fresh arugula, white beans and baby green garlic.    Have you tried green garlic before?    It has a subtler flavor than regular garlic, but looks more like a leek with an onion attached to the end.  Was a nice alternative.  

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments earlier this week.  It really meant a lot.   


We had a nice night celebrating.   The pesto with summer roasted vegetables and whole wheat pasta was better individually than the sum of its parts.     Something about the whole wheat and pesto didn't mesh.   Plus, it turned a really strange unphotogenic shade of green.   The summer vegetables were wonderful though... fresh corn, radishes, grape tomatoes and asparagus, tossed with olive oil and roasted at 400 degrees for about twenty minutes.      

The flowers were a gift from me to me and from John to me.    I must have been sending out an "I need flowers" vibe that day. 


Arugula, White Beans and Green Garlic Wilted Salad


Ingredients


1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 stalks green garlic, white and light green parts only, sliced
1 can great northern beans, rinsed
2 bunches arugula
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation


Heat olive oil in large pan on medium low heat.    Add diced onion and green garlic to pan and saute 3 - 4 minutes.    Add drained can of beans to onion mixture and heat for another 2 - 3 minutes.  

Add arugula to pan and saute until slightly wilted, 1 - 2 minutes.  

Remove immediately from heat and toss with apple cider vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.

**************

I happen to love arugula.  I love the spiciness and bitterness of it.   For those that aren't huge fans, the apple cider vinegar helps to tone it down a bit and round out the flavor with a bit of brightness.   This is a refreshing summer side dish that only takes a few minutes to put together. 

I'm still looking forward to pizza tonight though... 

What are your plans for this weekend? 

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Your photos are so delicious! I am in awe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge arugula fan!! Just had it last night on our bbq'd turkey burgers...your salad looks fab...must try that one!!

    Hope you have a fantastic weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummmmmm.

    now, if the weather could just get warm enough to warrant a lovely summer salad...

    i needed a do over yesterday, starting at 7am when i locked myself out of my house for an hour. :/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!