Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tuscan Pork Chops


The lemon makes these pork chops amazing.   It doesn't make an appearance until the very end and could be easily forgotten, but don't, because it brings the herbs and garlic and charri-ness to life.  

I asked John to train me on the grill again.   Again.

"Are you paying attention this time?"

"Yes, I swear, I'll remember."

"So turn this and then turn this and then turn that and then push this and then step back."

"Okay.   Got it."

"Then let it heat up a bit and go to town."

"Easy.  I have this.   You go sit inside and relax.   I will make dinner on the grill."

(A proud moment.)  

I put on the random assortment of veggie kabobs.  I purposely didn't put things in order.  A couple of mushrooms here, some random tomatoes there, a red onion cap on a bald mushroom.   I'm in charge tonight.  

Grilling is fun.


I put on the sweet potatoes.   Our fourth food group.

And then I put on these gorgeous pork chops which had been bathing in a marinade of garlic and lots of herbs and olive oil.     Tuscan-like, I think.


I fended off the bugs attacking me on the deck and peaked inside periodically.


When they were done, they looked like this.


The turning-on-the-grill instructions may have gone in one ear and out the other (sorry John), but I did write down this recipe.   I hope you will try it.   We both said that it was the best we'd had in a long time.   Way better (and less expensive) than any restaurant.  

(Am I the only one who can never remember how to start the grill?)


Tuscan Pork Chops
serves 2

Ingredients
2 bone-in pork chops
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lemon, halved
salt and pepper

Preparation
Generously season pork chops with salt and pepper.   Let sit out at room temperature while you prepare the marinade.

Combine olive oil, vinegar, sage, rosemary and garlic.    Pour over pork chops and marinate for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.

Heat your grill to medium high (hopefully you already know how to do this!).  

Place pork chops on grill.   Grill about 5 minutes on the first side.   Flip and grill the second side for another 4 minutes.   (Note - your grilling times may vary.   This timing worked really well for us.)

Let the pork chops rest for a minute or two and then liberally sprinkle each piece with juice of half a lemon.  

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love cooking like this! I'm actually grilling pork chops tonight. I will definitely have to try it this way next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That looks really good. Lol on the grill...I usually let Chad do the grilling but I am getting better with it...I'm more the inside chef and let him be the outside one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm these look good! I'm like you - i need a griller refresher annually :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous meal! I have some pork chops in the freezer just waiting for a recipe like this.

    I do the same thing with grilling - why does something simple like that seem so complicated?! I always hang out with my husband while he grills for us, and every time I vow to try it myself next time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the Tuscan Pork tonite... excellent! I used 1 1/2" thick chops cut with a pocket for stuffing and put some of the marinade inside the pocket. Top notch! Cooking time was perfect.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! I love hearing from you and read each and every one!